Village Visions LASIK Guidelines from your Skaneateles (village), New York Eye Doctor. near you in Skaneateles (village), New York
What criteria determine if you are eligible for LASIK?
- Good eye health, with no ocular disease. Conditions such as chronic eye infections, severe dry eye syndrome, cataracts, corneal disorders, macular degeneration, uncontrolled glaucoma, and eye injuries may make LASIK a poor choice for you.
- Corneal thickness must be adequate for reshaping your cornea. Performing LASIK on a cornea that is too thin or extremely irregular can reduce the success of the procedure. However, this rule isn’t as steadfast as it once was, because new types of LASIK are now available that enable surgeons to perform the laser vision correction. Our Skaneateles (village), New York, will measure your cornea during your LASIK consultation eye exam to recommend the most suitable method of laser eye surgery.
- The best visual success with LASIK is with people who have prescriptions in the following parameters: up to +6 diopters for farsightedness, up to 6 diopters of astigmatism (cylinder), and up to -12 diopters of nearsightedness.
- Ocular maturity is important. The best LASIK results are achieved in people who have had a stable vision prescription for about a year before undergoing refractive surgery.
- A good overall health condition, with no pre-existing conditions that can slow healing, such as hypertension, Sjogren’s syndrome, and poorly controlled diabetes.
- LASIK is FDA-approved for patients above age 18. Generally, there is no maximum age for laser eye surgery. But, be aware that once you are in your 40s, you may still require reading glasses to correct near vision after undergoing LASIK.
- LASIK is not suitable for women who are pregnant or nursing, due to the fact that hormonal changes can affect the corneal shape. Typically, it’s advised to wait a few months after pregnancy.
Set realistic visual expectations
If you are seriously considering LASIK, it’s important to face reality. While most people are thrilled with their LASIK results, there are still risks and possible side effects and complications. You need an experienced eye doctor to perform a personalized eye exam and consider whether or not you are an ideal candidate for laser eye surgery – as well as advise you about which specific type of vision correction is most appropriate.
Many eye diseases can be quickly and easily diagnosed during a Comprehensive eye exam, Pediatric eye exam and Contact lens eye exam. If you were diagnosed with an eye disease, such as Cataracts, Pink Eye or conjunctivitis Myopia or Nearsightedness , Glaucoma, Macular degeneration, Diabetic retinopathy, or Dry eye, you may be overwhelmed by the diagnosis and confused about what happens next. Will you need medications or surgery – now or in the future? Is LASIK eye and vision surgery an option for you ? Our Skaneateles (village) eye doctor is always ready to answer your questions about eye disease and Contact lenses.
Book an eye exam at Village Visions eye clinic near you in Skaneateles (village), New York to learn more about your candidacy for contact lenses and which type is right for you. Call 315-685-2020
Village Visions, your Skaneateles (village) eye doctor for eye exams and eye care
Alternatively, book an appointment online here CLICK FOR AN APPOINTMENT
LASIK surgery is a procedure that corrects a wide range of nearsightedness or myopia, farsightedness or hyperopia, and astigmatism.
LASIK eye surgery can benefit a significant number of people with myopia, hyperopia, and astigmatism.
Studies show that the LASIK procedure carries only minimal risks of complications. Even if complications do occur, most of the complications are resolved within three months and do not result in long-term interference with vision.